Thursday, July 17, 2008

New Appearences

My friend went to the Appearance Committee meeting this week and did a wonderful job of putting forth the merchants assoc. ideas about beautifying the downtown. Everyone was in agreement about getting rid of the fountain and making Frank Creech's statue the primary focus of the corner. They are so positively responsive. I hope that the next merchants meeting will be OK.
Mean while I have been involved with the Johnston County Artists Guild. They are a very motivated group of people that surprisingly have a lot of faith in the community here. I am going to join the Guild and am encouraging others to do so, too. I can be contacted here and I will get application forms to those interested. It would be another way to gain support for an artspace in Smithfield. The poster idea is still a go with them.
I have offered my Yoga Studio during the week of the International Film Festival in Smithfield (September) for an artists gallery opening and for a party. This will be a way to get the idea of having a gallery opening once a month at the studio until there is an official space available. The Guild is really happy about having someone downtown who is interested in promoting art in Smithfield. Maybe this will encourage others to do something, who knows.

No comments: